Recipes - Chocolate Flapjacks
- 80g / 3oz soft brown sugar
- 110g / 4oz butter / cooking margarine
- 250g / 9oz oats (e.g. porridge)
- 110g / 4oz dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons of golden syrup
- a pinch of salt
- Put the butter / margarine in a pan over a low heat and stir until it's melted.
- Add the sugar and golden syrup and stir until it is all dissolved into a sticky liquid.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6
- Take the pan off the heat and add the oats, stirring them in with a spoon. It's easier to add the oats bit by bit.
If the mixture thickens too much ask an adult to heat the mixture a bit more.
- Add the salt and give a final stir. Spoon the mixture into a non-stick tray and spread it out evenly.
- Place the baking trays in the pre-heated oven. Remove after 18 minutes (check after 12 minutes) when the flapjacks have turned a light golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes then cut into slices, but leave the slices in the tray
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl immersed in warm water. Pour the chocolate over the flapjacks as evenly as possible and place them in the fridge for an hour.