Brigade Vocational Qualifications
Brigade Vocational Qualification - Gives you UCAS points
A nationally recognised Level 2 Certificate in Youth Work Practice
The ways to achieve it:
Through the Brigade’s website, leaders will be guided by on-line tutorials to develop their knowledge and understanding of Working with Young People and Children.
Using a mixture of theory and practice leaders will work to complete four mandatory and a number of optional units, usually 2 – 3, to achieve sufficient credits to gain the Certificate, through ABC – the Awarding Body Consortium.
Leaders who want to apply for the Level 2 Certificate will be charged a £25 Registration fee and £8.00 each for the other units they need to complete their qualification. There is an option for Leaders just to undertake individual units and receive a CL&CGB Certificate
free of charge. Funding may be available from the Brigade Association or via external grants. Those leaders who originally signed up for the Progress training units in 2011 will have their Certificate subsidised.
- Complete the Application Form and obtain Company approval.
- Register on-line and start the units.
- Work in your Company, or at events, and feed back.
- Be assessed, through on-line work and be observed in your Company.
- Practical experience will be gained in a Company setting and will be a substantial requirement of the course.
- Assessment of a leader’s progress will be made, online for submitted work and in the Company setting by experienced Officers.
The different units:
The four mandatory units cover:
- Understanding youth work principles and practice
- Safeguarding young people in a youth work setting
- Youth work principles, knowledge and skills in work-based practice
- Supporting the provision of information and advice to young people
Examples of the optional units are:
- Support children and young people’s play and leisure
- Contribute to children and young people’s health and safety
- Designing and delivering a programme of activities
- Developing communication skills
Refer to your local Training representative, probably a member of FTOG (Formation Training Officers Group) if you need more information. See the CLCGB website for list of members.
Leaders MUST register on the www.CLCGB.org.uk website to gain access to secure area.
To apply for the training please download and complete the form and return to NHQ default BVQ Application form
To visit the Brigade Vocational Training website visit www.training.clcgb.org.uk